Reports to: President and Project Manager
Location: 1133 Woodward Drive, Greensburg, PA
Hours: 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Depends on requirements of bids)
FLSA Status: Exempt / Salary
Purpose of this position:
- The Senior Electrical Estimator is an integral part of the electrical construction process and ensures competitiveness, profitability and growth. This person will be responsible for developing accurate, competitive and profitable bid proposals for a variety of projects, while ensuring that the Company’s best interests are represented, including profitability and cost control.
Responsibilities and Duties of this position:
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position)
Included by not limited to:
- Work with minimal supervision
- Plan, organize, and implement an estimating department
- Bid projects with enough detail to provide accurate budgets and purchase orders
- Develop a plan for doing design build work
- Help create project plan
- Responsible for computerized estimating system, database, labor factors, updates
- Work with contract administrator regarding bid document requirements
- Production rate tracking and production reporting
- Track and analyze competition and market pricing
- Reviews and evaluates project plans and specifications, bid documents, and other relevant documents to identify what is needed to create a bid proposal.
- Calculates the cost of electrical construction based on reviewing and evaluating available documents.
- Consults with clients, vendors and personnel in other departments to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Confers with engineers, architects, owners, contractors, and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Attends job site walk-throughs as necessary to ensure that any field conditions that may potentially affect or impact the construction, prospective bid or pre-construction designs are properly handled.
- Work alongside other estimators, project managers and project engineers on change orders and cost to complete estimates of ongoing projects.
- Analyzes projects for value engineering options while taking into account specific job conditions that may affect labor and material to be purchased and installed.
- Identifies any inconsistent issues, conflicts, and other problems in the bid documents.
- Anticipates potential problems and is proactive by taking action.
- Requests material and equipment quotes from vendors and equipment suppliers. Reviews quotes to confirm adherence to quote specifications and accuracy of quotes received.
- Develops and maintains a positive relationship with vendors.
- Prepares bid documents including specific scope letter for each project and evaluations with adjustments for buy-outs, labor rate, productivity, etc.
- Designs electrical service systems for projects including building and pre-construction services.
- May attend estimating/sales meetings, and project meetings to discuss bid status, and present/solve problems.
- Meets with general contractors and site personnel, as needed.
- Keeps company personnel, clients, general contractors, and all others current on bid progress.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Job Skills and Requirements:
- Strong computer skills and adept at learning new software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Accurate and detailed oriented
- Critical Thinking
- Team player
- Goal oriented
- Problem Solving
- Resource Management
- Technical aptitude
The physical requirements of this position listed below are necessary in carrying out the essential job functions:
- Moderate lifting up to 20 pounds as frequently as needed to move objects
- Dexterity to write and manipulate computer keyboard and mouse
- Ability to hear and speak clearly
- Body mobility to stoop, kneel, bend and reach
- Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.